WALKING TOUR TIPS
Five Tips To Enjoy A Walking Tour:
- Wear comfortable shoes, as you will be standing and walking for about 90min to 2 hours.
- Use the bathroom before the tour, as normally there is no bathroom stop during a walking tour.
- Dress for the weather. That means warm in the winter, and cool in the summer.
- Have a snack in case you get hungry.
- Have your meal before the tour, as tours normally last an hour and a half to two hours.
What About Free Walking Tours?
There really are no free walking tours. Somebody somewhere along the line pays for it.
Many of the free walking tours in New York are provided by the business districts or museums. They pay the tour guides to provide the tour and thus its free to the public.
Several companies offer free tours. The tour is free, but the tour guide will seriously remind you on the tour that you need to tip the tour guide. That is how the guide gets paid. When companies sell paid tours, the tour guide is always there.
When companies provide a paid tour, generally the tour guides are well trained and specialists in their area.
What Is A Walking Tour?
A New York walking tour is an in depth tour of a few blocks of a neighborhood. Many of the walking tours specialize in specific topics. For example, Wall Street walking tours, tours of the Lower East Side, Central Park or Harlem tours.
On a walking tour, you join with other people with the same interest as you. You start at a specific meeting point. Then you walk from location to location. At approximately 10 or so different important sites in the neighborhood, you stop, and the tour guide will provide commentary about the importance or the history or whatever the topic of the tour is.
Most walking tours end in a different ending location than the starting location, or some walk in a circle and return back to the same location.